• Husbilsklubbens årsmöte och träff år 2024 kommer att hållas i Karlstad 9-12 Maj.
    Mer information och anmälan finns här: Klicka Här för Årsmötesträff 2024
  • Erbjudande på Husbilsklubben.se

Blir du ny medlem nu i Husbilsklubben.se betalar du ingen anmälningsavgift utan enbart årsavgift 100 kr.
    Du sparar 150 kr på detta och erbjudandet gäller tills vidare.
    Medlemskapet gäller för kalenderåret 2024.
    Mer information finns här: Hur Registrerar jag mig.
    Du slipper också en massa störande reklam eftersom vi är en HELT reklamfri sida.

supplementing the battery

F

F.d. 16636

The argument for smaller portable generators.

The whole idea of using reserve power is to supplement the existing motor home battery life, as well as being economical in the running costs. ( and not disturbing your neighbors)

As an example I would assume a 1000 watt roof mounted Air conditioner drawing 3amps would consume a 110amp wet cell battery in a matter of minutes. So if using 1000 watt generator ( giving 900 effective watts) , then it should hold the existing battery for at least 6 to 8 hours without going below the critical amp reserve. ( please correct my math here if I'm off on this calculation)

No doubt a larger 2000 or 3000 watt generator would run the entire motor homes power needs, but at what costs? double fuel consumption as well as a much higher noise level, not to mention the increased weight and cost of a larger unit.

There are obvious pros and cons to both size and capacity, but in and age of higher fuel costs and being "environmentally" minded ( neighbors) it seems to me that a smaller generator makes sense.

Any thoughts?

Kjell

HBK Medlem
Kommun
Vännäs
HBK-Nr
Medlemskap
Sv: supplementing the battery

Well, smaller is better in this case, which means smaller fuel Bill’s! :D
And with the new inverter equipped gensets the engine RPM will adjust itself depending on the load – less load means lower RPM - but you always get the wanted 50 Hz 230VAC . And lower RPM means of course less fuel consumption.

Today a MH owner who wants to run an AC but is off the grid, that MH owner just have to rely on a genset, there is no alternative as I see it.

But why run a oversized genset, buy a genset with a capacity closest above the AC power requirement but observe the current surge from the AC kompressor, you may need to step up somewhat on the genset power.
Be shure it is an inverter set if you would like to draw less power from it i.e. when charging batteries or using power for smaller appliances.

Toppen